Case: Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) active disease in an adult female patient with inadequate response to methotrexate.
Initial Presentation and Treatment:
- A 53-year-old woman was diagnosed with RA approximately 7 years ago.
- Confirmed by anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide testing
- Following diagnosis, she received methotrexate at 10 mg/week, which was escalated to 25 mg/week over time
- She received modified-release prednisone 5 mg/day in the evenings
- She has not received a biological DMARD
Subsequent Treatment and Follow-up:
- On a scale of 0 to 100 mm by visual analog scale, PhGA is 64, the PtGA is 62, and pain is 63.
- DAS28-CRP is 5.8, DAS28-ESR is 6.5, and hs-CRP is 20 mg/L
- Lab measures are normal for neutrophil, lymphocyte, hemoglobin, and liver enzyme counts
- The patient went on to receive upadacitinib at 15 mg/day.